Sunday, December 13, 2009

13.1

Today I completed the White Rock half marathon and I achieved my goal of running the entire thing but I wasn't entirely pleased with my time of 2 hours 15 minutes:( But I guess I can live with that time since I've had 2 c sections since the last few I've done :) Sadly, I also wasn't impressed with the race this yr. Last time I ran it there were tons of people, organizations, bands, elvis impersonators, johnny cash wannabees, and just fun stuff throughout the entire course to distract you from the fact that you still had 9 more miles to go. They changed the course since then and it was mostly residential streets and not many people were out. The last few miles were on Katy Trail and there really were not very many people there which was dissappointing:( I mean, you think that the last part of the race should be fun, exciting, loud, and motivating. The end of this race was almost downright depressing. I saw the sign for mile 11 and I swear I saw a frowny face under it! Unless things change that may be my last White Rock half. There were also SOOO many people running that I didn't stop weaving in and out of crowds until about mile 10. I got so dizzy constantly avoiding people and watching my step. Oh well, I accomplished my goal and now I can look toward the next one I guess!

p.s. Celebrex is amazing.

5 comments:

Forrest and Elizabeth Williams said...

Congratulations Jerica!
Sorry you had a semi-good experience...you probably saw tons of blue shirts that said "where there's a will there's a way"...that's one of my best friends...her 2 year old son is a patient at Scottish Rite Hospital (the main fundraiser recipient). She and her husband went to Baylor and we met at FBW while there. They live in Midland now...all of this to say...keep running the White Rock--it's foir an awesome cause :)

Way to go runner mama!
ej

Becky said...

awesome job! i'm sorry it wasn't a terribly great experience!!!

can't wait to see you wednesday!!!

Lora said...

Jerica-I WAS THERE and obviously not far behind you (2:22). I agree with your assessment of the race. We have run some really big marathons (1st traveling half for me) and they are usually SO organized and the crowds are awesome. I was VERY disappointed with the Dallas support. Thinking about writing a letter to the local paper and telling them how AWESOME the Houston marathon crowd support was. Wish I had seen you--would love to have seen those boys-in person.

Kendra said...

Way to go, Jerica! Wish I had been there to run with you this time, too! You should be super proud of yourself!

Janae Gibson said...

Congrats on running that girl---on our way to church we saw so many shirts/gloves/jackets laying on the ground. I can't imagine how many people you were running with---I am sorry to hear your experience was less than perfect---but you DID IT-- you ran a half marathon!! I coudln't even run a mile---and that was BEFORE I was expecting--ha!