Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Not a "mom-ish" thing

I've been thinking lately about how the first 18 yrs of my life pretty much revolved around sports. Competitive sports. I was able to continue that even in college through a competitive intramural program at Baylor. But--becoming a mom brought all that to a screeching halt. Some people are born crafty, musical, intellectually gifted, or humorous...all of which can be continued in some form or fashion throughout every stage in life. But my thing is sports (specifically sports you play with a ball which excludes running) and as a female adult/mom there is not much time/opportunity for me to do what I love. I have taken up running in the last few years because that's about as close as I get to competitive sports these days. I guess I'll just have to wait to be one of those crazy parents who lives through their child's 4 yr old soccer team:) Just kidding of course! On a positive note there is a basketball hoop in my driveway.


Ahh the memories. Our team actually made it to the National Flag Football championship
in New Orleans. Good times.
*Erik thought that post sounded so depressing...so I guess should say of course I LOVE being a mom WAYYY more than I would love to play in a basketball league:)

4 comments:

The Kriegels said...

sic em chi o ; )

Lora said...

JUST WAIT---in a SHORT time you will be tossing balls, kicking balls, shooting hoops, ON AND ON with "Your Boys"!

the Jennings secede from the South said...

That's true- I hadn't thought of that. Well, do you have a YMCA around you? THey have tons of competitive sports leagues for all levels of skill.

jaymie said...

Do you KNOW how many times my husnand and I have had this conversation. I talk about it everytime he comes home from a bball game HE gets to play in because grown up boys get to keep playing sports!! UGGHH! I also realized that is the only way I ever stayed in shape. Unlike you i can't seem to take up running...I hate it actually. Its tough on girls that played sports because it definitly isn't an option post college...especially post BABIES! Its just never the same...btw our flag football team had the chance to go play in that thing in New Orleans...not enough of us could go though. and yes MOMMY HOOD is way better that SPORTS!!