Monday, February 15, 2010

Easy dinner for a cold night

It's really cold here in OKC so I found an awesome recipe for Taco Soup in my Southern living holiday book. It's probably one of the healthiest recipes I've seen and Erik says this is his favorite soup of all time.

1 lb lean ground beef
2 (16 oz) cans pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1 (32 oz) container low sodium chicken broth
1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (14.5 oz) can petite diced tomotoes
1 (11 oz) can shoepeg corn
1(10 oz) can diced tomato and green chiles
1 pack taco seasoning
optional toppings: sour cream, cheese, lime juice, corn chips

cook ground beef in a large dutch oven over medium heat; stirring until beef crumbles and is no longer pink; drain and return to Dutch oven. Stir in pinto beans and next 6 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Simmer; stirring occasionally, 15 minutes (I usually let mine simmer for 45 minutes on low to let the flavors really mix).

I serve this with regular corn muffin mix that I add cheese and green chiles to.

Hopefully the weather isn't as cold where you live, but if it never breaks 35 degrees, this meal is a winner!

2 comments:

Kampen Family said...

Yum! I'm going to have to try this recipe!

Rachel said...

my family's favorite taco soup recipe is a lot like this... try adding a packet of hidden valley ranch dressing mix next time. it's fabulous :) i love reading about your cute family!